To set up for Backorder, you will need to follow these step below:
- Setup backorder switch condition
- Setup your Backorder Templates
- Assign your products
- Import Product Stocks
Store Owner will need to set up conditions for products to be switched to backorder automatically.
Set a Backorder Switch Condition
- Go to the setting tab
- Input a number into backorder switch condition
- Click Save to make changes
When a product is assigned to Backorder, to help users enable Backorder automatically & quickly, the assigned product will receive it’s backorder setting from the preset template.
There are some required elements on a template as below:
- Storefront Template
- Stock Template
- Fulfillment Template
3.1. Storefront Template
Storefront template helps user dictate customer’s experience such as
- Backorder button
- Backorder message
- Cart message
3.2. Threshold & Stock Template
Threshold & Stock template helps manage the product in backorder status
- Backorder Threshold
- The limit quantity of backorder for a product. You can use this number to control the number of backorder quantities for each product. Note that when threshold runs out, product will be automatically disabled, refer to Disable Backorder
- Incoming Stock
- The quantity of incoming stock to your warehouse
- Back in Stock date
- The date of when this product should be back in stock. When this date arrives, backorder will be automatically disabled.
3.3. Packing Slip Template
Packing templates is what user can use to notify customer about order containing backorder products when shipping
3.4. How to use templates
The templates are values that will be automatically given to a product that is being assigned to the backorder app. This way every product assigned to the backorder app will receive the same data immediately without having to manually update every single product.
To be able to control how many products can be automatically Backordered at the same time, you can assign your products to backorder using the assignment function.
- Go to Assignment tab & search for the product you want to assign
- Tick the product you want to assign
- Click Save to assign
- Once the product is assigned, you should be able to see it under the Assigned Products section & in Product Management Tab
In case you are assigning variants within a product, the other related variants will be synchronized as well. You should still be able to update the related variants stock & purchasability from the Product Management tab.
- Assigned products will have it’s stock tracked by the Backorder app.
- Once a product is assigned, it’s purchasability & stock will be managed by the Backorder app. Please do not change this on BigCommerce admin dashboard.
- Once the product is assigned, inventory tracking on BigCommerce will be turned off. The stock number will be tracked from the Backorder side. Please do not change this on the BigCommerce side otherwise it might affect how Backorder behaves.
Automatically Enable Backorder Status
Once a product is assigned to Backorder, to allow backorder enabled automatically, you will need to ensure that Backorder can track your product stock.
- In case you are tracking your inventory on Bigcommerce, don’t worry, Backorder will automatically sync the stock amount over and dynamically keep track just like in BigCommerce.
- In case you are using an Inventory management to track inventory, you can assign products & need to import your stock into backorder for tracking.
If you are looking for integration with 3rd party platforms for inventory management, please contact us at [email protected]
Manually Enable Backorder Status
- Once a product is assigned to Backorder, locate the product in the Product Management Tab
- Click on the toggle from Status column to enable.
After backorder is enabled for a product, you will receive a notification email about enablement.
When backorder is disabled for a product:
- Store Owner will receive a notification email about backorder disable
- The product will be switched to unavailable for purchase after backorder is disabled
Disable Backorder Status Automatically
Backorder status can be disabled automatically in 2 scenarios:
- Disable on the Back-in-Stock Date
- Disable when Backorder threshold runs out.
Disable Backorder Status Manually
To disable backorder status for a product manually, simply goes to the Product Tab & locate the status toggle to disable backorder for a product. .
- To continue selling the product, store owners will need to switch products to available for purchase from the Backorder app.
- To allow the product to be automatically backordered again, please also make sure to input stock numbers into the Backorder app so product stock can be tracked.
Unassign products will mean that the product is no longer tracked by the Backorder app. Unassign products can be used when store owners need to assign new products to allow automatic backorder instead.
To unassign products, simply go to the assignment page:
Untick the products you want to unassign & click Save
- Stock data will be returned to you via email
- Product purchase will be disabled to ensure no discrepancy in stock tracking.
- You can continue to assign the product again if needed.
In case a product’s stock is not available in Bigcommerce, the store owner will need to input the stock number into Backorder. Using the Import function will allow stock to be updated in mass smoothly.
Import Product data
- To import, head to the import tab
- Download the product template using the download button
The downloaded file will contain all assigned product’s detail so you can fill in the following information:
- Backorder Threshold
- Incoming Stock
- Back in stock date
- Import file back into Backorder using the Browse File button
- Once imported, the system will notify on importing is successful or not